It’s official. Despite the self-fulfilling cultural prophecy that has discouraged young women from releasing the full range of their career ambitions, young women now surpass young men in the importance they place on having a high-paying career or profession, according to survey findings from the Pew Research Center.
Two-thirds of young women ages 18 to 34 rate career high on their list of life priorities, compared with 59% of young men. That’s a historic high, and a 10% jump since 1997. In the same period, young men’s career ambition increased only 1%.
Are you as ambitious as a 20-year-old woman? Take the quiz!
Give yourself one point for each “yes” answer:
- I can visualize my ultimate goal.
- I am willing to take strategic risks.
- I “raise my hand” with ease.
- I consistently hone and promote my brand.
- I am highly focused.
- I have a posse of formal and informal advisors, including mentors and sponsors.
- I am confident that, even if I don’t currently have the skill/knowledge/experience, I will figure it out.
- I actively invest in my long-term development.
- I am alert to opportunities to increase my visibility.
- I act the part, even if I’m initially uncomfortable.
No doubt about it, you’ve got Madonna-sized BLONDE AMBITION. Savvy, strategic, and self-aware, you’re on the fast track to the C-suite. Keep on keeping on! (And remember to offer an assist to your sisters along the way.)
You go, girl! You’ve got BURNING AMBITION. But there is room for improvement, isn’t there? How can you amp-up your career plan for the coming year?
Let’s call it AMBITION LIGHT. There’s plenty of opportunity for you to jumpstart your professional drive. Isn’t it time to give your career a boost?
Next time: Simple strategies to crank up your ambition.
(Let’s keep in touch! Click here to get my updates.)