I just came across a strategy–from Starbucks!–to handle complaints. While you may not encounter anyone unhappy with their coffee order, you likely encounter friends, family, and colleagues who are unhappy about something you’ve said or done. Here’s a fabulous formula for dealing with them. It’s called “LATTE,” of course.
1. Listen. Fully, as long as it takes, without interrupting.
2. Acknowledge. Repeat out loud what happened.
3. Thank. Be grateful for the feedback.
4. Take action. Correct what was done wrong.
5. Explain. And this is the most important thing: Don’t explain why it happened. That’s an excuse. Instead, make a promise. Explain how and why it won’t happen again.
Photo by MissTurner
(Want to keep in touch? Click here to subscribe to my blog, and you’ll also get the bonus Coaching Starter Kit.)